Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shifty Thrift

Today is National Thrift-store Day! Now, I'm not the biggest fan of thrift-stores because, quite frankly, they are usually poorly organized, smell funny, and everything seems to have been touched all over by a dirty orangutan with severe and instantaneous shedding problems. I feel similarly about online stores like eBay and Amazon, and I just prefer to get the item from where it's made.

However, there is something that I've had my eye on for quite some time. There is a thrift store near me selling an item that I need for my room: A chair. Not just any chair, though. No, this is a vintage hospital wheelchair. I know what you're thinking: "You just said you hate dirty germ-infested things, why would you want an old wheelchair from an era where disease was less solvable?" My answer is simple: I think it would be cool. I needed a chair with which to sit at my desk, but I also needed to be able to move in it. I have a carpeted room so regular wheels would mean I'd have to get a mat. However, wheelchairs move freely on mats as well as hard floors. Also, I've always wanted to see what being in a wheelchair is like without any of the... well... having to be in one. No offense meant towards my readers in wheelchairs.

This thrift store is quite a way away from me, though, so I may have to wait a few days to actually get it. I have it reserved, though! So that counts as celebrated! Right? Sure it does.

Thanks for reading!
~Kyle

1 comment:

  1. Thrift stores are actually pretty neat Kyle. You can find really neat things you can't find anywhere else. Once you get home and drop it in bleach it is like brand new! lol I hope you got your wheelchair. That is is a cool idea. =-) This is your coworker, Valri, by the way. lol

    ReplyDelete